Tuesday 12 May 2009

Homeless

One thing about Vancouver that has surprised me is the large number of beggars that are to be found around every corner. I won't call them homeless because very few of them are actually homeless. Some have friend's floors, a shelter, maybe a cardboard box even, but they have all found themselves in a state of financial askyness. Meaning, they ask others for money. On one afternoon walk, I think (A) and I were asked 7 times for money by different people. This is a new experience for me. I've lived in a city before, but have never had to say no to so many people. I don't know their stories and they certainly don't know mine (or maybe even care to?), but it's still hard to refuse somebody help when they have asked for it. It's a tricky thing. Everybody has choices in life. Some, you get to make, others are made for you. But very few outcomes are irreversible. I worked my little butt off to raise the money to fly to be with (A). I have never had a proper holiday in my life. I had to quit my jobs to have the time to come here. And I will freely admit, that by some peoples standards, I had a shitty childhood. And I don't just mean I didn't get the Transformer toy that I wanted for Christmas. The point is, the people coming up to me and asking for my spare change, are doing so without knowing what that money means to me. They are making an assumption about me based entirely on my appearance. Just as I am making one about them. You and I are far more likely to give money to a smelly, bearded guy in torn clothes, than we are a clean, sharp looking guy in a suit. Don't believe me? Why don't beggars ever hassle other beggars for money? Because they assume they have none, just by their appearance. Just as I assume the same about them. But the truth is, I don't know if that person has had a tough, unfair life, or has squandered money on drink, drugs, or even perhaps even drowned kittens or murdered people? It's impossible for me to tell. I have no problem if they are polite, but a couple of times in the past, I have had abuse because I have politely said sorry, but no, to someone asking for money. I like helping people. I get a warm gooey feeling every time that I do. I believe that everyone can help others if they wish to. The world would be a better place if we did, but do we owe each other help? I don't think so. Some of the stories people tell to try to get you to part with money are really quite amazing. I've heard ones with action, sadness, plot twists, romance, I even heard on guy claim to have helped blow up the Death Star. I appreciate that a lot of people are genuinely nice people that have had a tough time of life and I wish I could help them all (only the nice ones), but it can't be done. I do still give change to people now and then, much to my own annoyance. And I'm a sucker for buskers. If you want money from me, play music. For some reason, I feel comfortable giving my change to people that can afford a guitar and amplifier?
Why have I just blogged about this? I have no idea? It's late and I think I lost my point somewhere? At least I'm honest? I guess I just don't like it when someone comes up to me and asks me for change. Then if I say no, I get to feel crappy about it.
Maybe if I showered less and didn't change clothes so often, they would stop asking?
It's a thought........

No comments:

Post a Comment