Sunday 23 January 2011

Got my Goat: Oven Chips.


You want to know what's got my goat today? No? Well I'm going to tell you anyway.

Oven chips. Or fries if we're in the the New World.
I am sick and tired of pouring some out onto the baking tray to find lots of the little slivery ones. Now, I actually like the small ones, but the slivery off-cut ones don't cook correctly. As soon as you see them, you know that the poor little buggers will never survive the 18-20 minutes cooking time. They'll be dead in 10.
11 minutes and you can shave with them.
12 minutes and they're carbon.
13 and they're something beyond carbon.
14 minutes and you wish they were just carbon.
15 and they're carcinogenic
20 minutes and they're pure cancer.

"But Jamie. But Jamie!" I hear you say in that whiny voice "Why don't you take those out early, or eat them when you go to shake the chips at the 10 minute/halfway mark?"

Because I expect my chips to be uniform and available AT THE SAME TIME! I don't want a "little nibble" halfway through, like the little chip-tease that they are. I demand my chips survive the cooking process and arrive on my plate at the same time dammit!
Grr!

I want my goat back now.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely - no matter which Brand of Chips, "Chunky" and expensive ones ...so called "the best", almost one-third of every pack are not a Chips at all, but incendiary devices. Surely when paying top-dollar for a product should not such dross be discarded prior to packing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! This is the 21st Century. We might not have jetpacks yet, but why can't we have uniform chips?

    ReplyDelete