Tuesday 4 January 2011

The Grape Escape

I was blessed with free shopping yesterday.

The self-service checkout seemed most perplexed by the 3kg of reduced-to-clear grapes that I had bought.

I scanned the items and before I could do anything, the machine spat out a receipt for -2.65 and told me to take my shopping and go (not in those exact words).

Not wanting to get rugby-tackled by a security guard, I called over the supervisor who said;
"I've never seen it do that before."
Which is the exact same thing that he said to me a few days before when the same machine short-changed me.

So the supervisor voids my (free) sale and scans the items through himself. Same thing happens. The machine was confused by the price reductions on the grapes and it essentially meant that every bunch of grapes that you purchased deducted 2.69 from your bill.

He then takes me over to the manager and explains it all to her. She looked like she'd checked out a long time ago and just wanted to go home. The super explained how the machine was saying there's nothing to pay and she just said;
"Then he can take it and go."

Wow. Nobody argues with these machines. So I got all of my groceries for free, due to the excessive purchase of reduced grapes.

Frankly, if they'd had enough grapes left, I would have gone back round for a flat-screen TV.

Strangely enough, the only other time a self-service machine "gave" me something, was when it insisted that I put an item that refused to scan in my bag, forcing me, making me, take something that I hadn't paid for. That was grapes too.

1 comment: