Monday 27 December 2010

Out for a walk.

How can people that do such interesting things, be so dull?

I went for a Boxing Day walk up the nearby Welcombe Hills. Partly to get away from the festive TV movies and partly to make the most of the last of the snow.

Traditionally, Welcombe is like a Mecca for children (and adults) when it snows, as it is the best spot in Stratford for sledging. It has three really good hills and several beginner hills.

I got there a tad late, and the Sun had already begun to vanish, but there were a lot of people still around. I ended up walking behind a group of four walkers (two couples), and couldn't help but hear what they were saying. It went something like this;

Man #1 "You're right. It'd be great for it. Shame we didn't pack them."

Man #2 "Of course you need a really good wax though."

Man #1 "Oh yeah. Definitely."

Man #2 "Steve had a really good wax when we stayed with him. I mean it was a primo wax. I mean this was a great wax. The best I've seen. He had a special ironing board that he always keeps out so he can wax them when he needs to. Plus he has all his different ones with different waxes, so he's ready to go."

Man #1 "Yeah, well it's great if you can devote the time to it and take it seriously. Did you ski much while you were there? "

Man #2 "No. He was really busy, and we just wanted to chill out. We're hoping to go away properly in July. Make up for not doing anything special this Christmas."

Man #1 Yeah. Cool.

At this point, I decided to stop and re-tie my shoelaces. For about ten minutes. They were a lovely bunch of people and I have nothing against them, but I just feel a little awkward when I am walking at the same pace others and I can hear every word that they are saying.

As it turns out, they decided to stop for ten minutes too, further up the hill, so I soon caught them back up. This is the conversation when I rejoined them;

Man #1 "I've done it from 14,000 ft."

Man #2 "I've done 15,000."

Man #1 "Can you tell the difference?"

Man #2 "You bet. 15,000 is a world away from 14,000."

Man #1 "So you've jumped 15 and 14?"

Man #2 "Yeah. I think so? Honey! Have we jumped 14,000?"

Woman #2 "Yes..........We both have."

Man #2 "And 15? We've done 15 right?"

Woman #2 "I think so?"

At this point, I threw myself into a snowbank and stayed there until they had gone.
I don't know what it was? Maybe it was their tone of voice or something? But they were just making me fall asleep out there. I mean they were talking about skiing and skydiving, two very exciting pursuits. But just making it sound incredibly boring.

Sigh. I know. I'm getting older and grumpier.

No comments:

Post a Comment