Sunday 19 December 2010

Snow! Snow! Snow!


Britain is currently locked firmly in the "death grip" of an Arctic weather system.
Snow to you and I.
One newspaper headline read "Arctic weather to last 4 weeks!!"
That'll be Winter then? At what point exactly did we stop expecting Winter to be cold? I'm not up on my geography, but I'm pretty sure we are on the Northern side of the globe (depending entirely on which way up you hold it).

Like most people under 60, I love the first day of deep snow. Everything seems fresh and different. All the dark, grey streets are covered in a white fluffy blanket and all the bad stuff like litter, trash, dog poo and the homeless are covered and out of sight.
I'm kidding. Stratford Upon Avon doesn't have homeless people. Not since the harsh Winter of 92, when the Police beat them all to death and blamed it on the cold.
I'm kidding again.
Or am I?

Anyway. I instantly become a child again when I look out of the window and see the snow. I just have to quickly throw some clothes on and get myself out there.
I love the feel of the fresh snow, the crunch and sound that it makes.
I love seeing kids being pulled on sleds.
I love seeing dogs playing excitedly in the parks. Particularly with other dogs.

*Dog bounds through the snow towards other dog

Alsatian: "Hey! You're a dog! I'm a dog too!"

Terrier: "ARGH! Keep away!"

Alsatian: "Hi! My name's Max!"

Terrier: "Woof! Fuck off!"

Max: "Aw, come on. It's snow! Isn't this great?"

Terrier: "No. It's cold. It comes up to my testicles, I can barely walk through it, my owner refuses to pick me up and I think I have asthma."

Max: "What's a Thmaa? Can I have one?"

Terrier: "It's a medical condition. It means that I get out of breath easily."

Max: "Wow. Are you a doctor?"

Terrier: "No. But I read a lot"

Max: "How often does it happen?"

Terrier: "Whenever I have a book in front of me."

Max: "The medical condition?"

Terrier: "Oh. A couple of times a day at least. It seems to be getting worse. I think it's due to the dust mites in the carpet. I'm quite low to the ground, you see."

Max: "This is snow, not carpet!"

Terrier: "Sigh. In the house. Woof!"

Max: "Have you tried telling your owner? They're normally good about helping. I showed my owner that I was feeling sexually frustrated once and so they had my balls removed. Problem solved. They really love me."

Terrier: "I try. But whenever I get wheezy or breathe heavy, they seem to think I want to play and throw my ball. That just exacerbates it. I think I need an inhaler"

Max: "Wanna make snow angels with me?"

Terrier: "No. We're dogs. Our legs don't bend that way. We'd have to lie flat on our backs, then roll to our left side, kick our legs, then roll back over onto our right side and kick our legs. This would result in more of a snow butterfly than a snow angel."

Max: "Do you wanna do that with me?"

Terrier: "No. Woof! Fuck off."

Sorry. I went off on one there.

Dogs seem to really enjoy snow. I think if we had snow on a regular basis, we wouldn't find it as magical. Like the Sydney sandstorms. Everyone went out to experience something different to the norm.
I'm not saying we'd all be out there with our cameras if it was raining fire, but we seem to love anything that's out of the ordinary.
I think we find snow fun for about a day. The first day of deep snow is great fun. After that, it starts to become tiresome. By about the fourth day, when the fresh deep snow has become compacted grey ice, we're hoping for an end to it.

I LOVE fresh snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment